is an educational program designed to visualize the symmetry elements of
molecules and to animate the corresponding symmetry operations in an interactive
3D environment. It is aimed to help chemistry students conceive the
symmetry properties of the molecular structure.
3DMolSym includes a database with symmetry
and geometry data of 48 organic and inorganic molecules, corresponding
to all point groups of chemical interest.
The user can search the database via the Graphical User Interface and
filter the molecules by their symmetry elements or point group . The user
can also filter the symmetry elements of a selected molecule by their
type or by their order.
With 3DMolSym you can:
- Display any compination of the symmetry elements
of a selected molecule.
- Perform any symmetry operation of a selected
- Adjust the speed and pause the animation of
a symmetry operation.
- Display a molecule in Ball n' Stick, Wireframe,
Sticks or Space Filling format.
- Rotate, translate and zoom a molecule to any
- Store and recall 4 preferred view points.
- View information about the symmetry elements
and point group of a molecule.
Screen Shot of 3DMolSym